Oven Roasted Mustard-Sage Potatoes with Peppercorn Fennel
Thanksgiving is coming up which means that everyone is looking for some new and fabulous take on potatoes. Also, Thanksgiving is coming up, meaning all of us foodies are very, very busy, so I will keep this post short and sweet, especially since I will be ramping up my posts over the next couple weeks to give you lots of Thanksgiving ideas.
Friends, I think potatoes have been such a dietary staple over the past several centuries that there really aren't many new ways to cook a potato. Sorry if I just burst your bubble.
If you haven't heard, potatoes (besides sweet potatoes) are the newest paleo approved food, to those that take a more lax approach to paleo anyway, in moderation. Approval of the white potato is following the #teamwhiterice movement, and it makes total sense. However, if you're trying to lose weight while following an ancestral diet, it definitely does not make sense, so eat accordingly.
These potatoes are super simple and pretty tasty. Mustard powder really isn't a commonly used ingredient, so I think it brings nice variety to the age-old potato. I also really enjoy the whole peppercorns with sage, as it combines fall flavors very nicely. And the fennel? Well, fennel is another great fall ingredient, but rarely used. I think it brings a nice touch, and truly, roasted fennel is the only way I will eat fennel because raw fennel is bizarre to me.
oven roasted mustard-sage potatoes with peppercorn fennel
- 1/4 medium-sized fennel
- 3 medium sized potatoes (I like Yukon gold for their buttery texture
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage, divided
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. ground mustard seed
- 2 tsp. ground peppercorns, plus additional 1 tsp. for garnish
- 1 tsp. freshly minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a lipped baking pan with parchment paper.
- Wedge potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Carefully cut the fennel into 1-inch wide matchsticks. Add to bowl with potatoes.
- Add olive oil to potatoes and fennel, stir to coat. Add mustard seed, pepper, and garlic. Mix well.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and spread evenly. Place baking sheet on middle rack and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add sage and peppercorns. Place back on middle rack and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.