The June Daily 5
It’s that time again: time for The Daily 5! If you have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, no fear. This is only the second time I have posted this type of post; I just started this series in January. (See the original one here.) And ummmm, to be honest, I haven’t done one since. Why? Because I forgot. Whhooops.
To catch you up, the daily 5 are the things in my life that have been helping me get through my paleo days, whether they are gadgets in the kitchen, organizational tools, or even organic beauty products. My hope is that the things that help me can help you, and these posts can serve as a resource. For the record, I do not get paid, and am not provided any type of compensation for these promotions. There are 100% my true and honest opinion.
So here goes, my most recent Daily 5:
1. Glass Jars of all sizes
- Glass jars are probably the most low-tech and boring thing I could ever be posting about. Sorry. But I like to mention a good thing when I see one. Glass jars are trendy right now (Oh hi, Mason), but they’re the only thing I use to store and reheat food. Plastic containers often break down over time, especially in the microwave, and can leach chemical into your organic, pricey paleo food. Take out the guess work and minimize the risk by switching to glass storage. It might be an investment at first, but it is well worth it, and glass is so much more durable. If price is something you are wary of, try a visit to your local thrift store. Most have extremely reasonably priced glass jars, of all sizes, that may even have that vintage flair.
- Here are some of my favorites from Target.
2. LULULEMON PANTS
- I know, so stereotypical. And so darn expensive. But lulu (We’re on a first name basis) products are so well made, fashionable, and durable that they are well-worth it. As long as you make sure not to put them in the dryer, they will last years. I wear mine from everything to Crossfit to yoga to hiking to….sitting on the couch in front of Scandal with a glass of wine and a cupcake. Their printed varieties also look super cute with boots and a neutral “normal” every day top. No one will ever know. Except you. Because you’ll be sitting pretty in your yoga pants while everyone is sucking it in to fit into their skinny jeans.
- Learn more about Lululemon here.
3. 14 DAY JUICE CHALLENGE
- Whenever I can force myself up to pulling out my juicer (Which I rarely do because I hate cleaning the thing), I turn to this trusty app. Now, purely juicing fruit has its controversy, but when I juice, I do it to get more veggies into my diet. It is a constant battle within myself, to get more vegetables, though I will say that since starting paleo 2 years ago, my vegetable intake has increased exponentially.
- Anyway, this app is paleo-centric AND combines juiced veggies and herbs in just the right way to make green juices taste delicious. I personally haven't done the challenge; I've just used these recipes as a foundation for any veggie juicing I do.
- You can find out more about the 14 Day Juice Challenge App here.
4. EPSOM SALT
- Lately I have been loving pouring some Epsom Salts into a hot bath with some essential oils, especially after a hard work out. They seem to take away soreness, and are great used to exfoliate.
- You can buy fancy brands already infused with herbs or oils, but my favorite is to create my own by combing a cup of salt with a few drops of essential oils and some freshly cut herbs from my garden. Super cheap, super easy, and 100% paleo approved.
- Here is the Epsom Salt I usually go for.
5. CHRIS KRESSER’S FREE EBOOKS (AND PODCAST!):
- Chris Kresser is a wealth of knowledge when is comes to the primal world. If you haven’t checked out his website, I highly recommend it: he has an answer for everything!
- In addition to a primal-centric podcast, he also has a ton of free eBooks on his site that you can download to your tablet. The ones I have been reading lately are: Nutrition for Healthy Skin, Food Additives, The Diet-Heart Myth, Gut Health, Effortless Paleo Weight Loss, and B12 Deficiency.
- You can find out more about Chris Kresser and download his eBooks on his website here.