Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, a Special Drink Pairing, and a Fiesta Announcement
Sweet potatoes are, by far, the trendiest potato.
Have you ever heard of anyone obsessing over white potatoes? Besides, of course, french fries…which are in their own category, if you ask me.
Exactly. I haven’t met one person obsessed with the basic white potato. I also haven’t met anyone who liked dipping their plain ol’ white potato fries in maple syrup. Weird. But syrup on a sweet potato? Totally acceptable.
Also acceptable? Loading up your baked sweet potato with all kind of toppings.
Even more acceptable? Taking a Mexican food twist on things, and making Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
And whats even better? Pairing it with some dranks. Errr, drinks.
Dying over here.
Because not only do I love sweet potatoes, but I love Mexican food, and Mexican really tastes best when its paired with some alcohol.
If you recall, in January, I did collaboration with my good friend Dani from Care to Pair. I provided the Kombucha, she provided the expertise: she and her fiancé created a kombucha cocktail that we both still drink to this day. Alcohol + probiotics= love.
Well, friends, Dani and I have done it again. In preparation for Cinco de Mayo (!!!!), I am creating a few Paleo-friendly Mexican dishes, and she is providing the Mexican-inspired, fiesta provoking, #whatsafiestawithoutdrinks pairing and recipes that we are all so thirstily craving. The idea is that between the two of us, you’ll have all the tools you’ll need to create you very own Cinco de Mayo fiesta by May 5th. Or really, just any fiesta. Oooorrrr just Mexican Dinner night at home. (Or all day, erryday. No shame.)
Without further ado, I present you with your first Paleo Fiesta dish with a drink pairing: Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Negro Modela, thanks to Care to Pair. (But you'll have to go here to check out all the details about the pairing.)
Oh, and make sure to stay tuned- this is only the first of our Cinco de Mayo preparation. :)
southwestern stuffed sweet potatoes
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- South of Vanilla Taco Seasoning
- 1/3 cup of your favorite guacamole (I adore the classic life-changing recipe from Chipotle)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite salsa (I like this one here, and South of Vanilla’s salsa verde)
- 6 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (divided)
- 3 oz. almond cheeses (if dairy-free) or organic, hormone-free cheese if not (Cojita is a good choice, but if you can’t find it, a mild tasting cheese will work just as well.)
- Negro Modela for a perfect pairing from Care to Pair
- Preheat your over to 400 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, wrap your potatoes in foil.
- Once preheated, place wrapped potatoes on middle shelf in oven and bake for about 40 minutes. (These may need longer if your sweet potatoes are big ones.)
- While potatoes are baking, combine oil in a large saucepan with taco seasoning and 3 tbsp. of fresh cilantro on medium heat. Add ground beef and brown until thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Once potatoes are done baking remove from oven. Remove foil and slice lengthwise down middle, being careful not to burn yourself.
- In a small bowl, melt your almond cheese or regular cheese.
- In the cut you made in each potato, place a spoonful of your seasoned ground beef. Top with fresh guacamole, melted cheese, salsa, and fresh cilantro. Serve and enjoy immediately.