Cilantro-Lime Salad Dressing
Salads are hard. Have I said that before? I have definitely said that before.
I am constantly in a state of trying to get in more green vegetables, but also trying to avoid salad burnout, because there are really only so many plates of leaves I can eat in any given week. I’ve been making an effort to be more creative in salads, so this salad dressing recipe in today’s post plays into this.
Salad dressings are an issue of contempt for those conscious of artificial ingredients, sugars, and unhealthy fats. Salad dressings are notoriously a poor source of vitamins, and conventionally produced dressings are typically so full of questionable additives, that it may not even be happy to eat that dressed salad in the first place. (For more specifics, this article is pretty good at breaking dressing ingredients down.)
There are a few companies who produce salad dressings with integrity, like Tessemae’s, and there are some great grocery store brands I’ve found that have high quality ingredients. (Although they still almost all have some sort of preservative in them. Whomp whomp.)
For the longest time I resisted making my own salad dressings, mostly because I thought they were too much effort. Sure, they are more effort than picking up a bottle at the store, but homemade salad dressings make a plate of leaves so much better.
This salad dressing uses fresh limejuice and cilantro, which are perfect, fresh flavors as we go into these last couple hot weeks of August. The dressing also comes together very quickly, making it a no-fuss way to eat more veggies, and cut down on any food prep during the workweek!
Some cook’s notes:
- I really like homemade paleo mayo for the base of this dressing, but I have made it with soy-free Vegenaise, and it is just a great. However, Vegenaise in itself is not 100% paleo.
- Paleo mayo dressings I love are this recipe here and this recipe.
- This dressing comes together the best when using a food processor, although it can also be made by mixing thoroughly by hand with finely chopped spices.
cilantro-lime salad dressing
Makes about 2 cups of dressing
- 1-cup paleo mayo or soy-free Vegenaise (see note above)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cilantro
- 1/4-cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh limejuice
- 1 tsp. freshly minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried onion powder
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Process for about 2 minutes, until well blended.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.