Butter-Toasted Heirloom Tomato & Mozzarella Spread With Herbed Oil Drizzle
I have realized that there are two types of people in the world: those that love Labor Day and those that hate it.
Most people, almost everyone, love Memorial Day, because ummmm who doesn’t like the beginning of summer? But not everyone feels the same about the second bookend of the season.
Me? Well, I’m glad you asked. I happen to fall into the former party, the omgitslabordayandalmostfallparty. I love fall. In fact, I start to get excited about fall in May, but then stop myself and try to hold off until July. Usually, I start working on fall recipes in August because I just can’t help myself. I have long made the discovery that grocery stores don’t stock pumpkin puree until September, so I usually hold onto a can at the end of the season during the year prior so I can get a jumpstart on fall food. Really.
Pumpkin spice and scarves and football and leaves and jackets bonfires and boots and hot apple cider. What’s not to love?? Especially this fall season, when I am pretty sure that blanket scarves are making another comeback. Yasssssss.
BUT before I dive right into fall, headfirst, I have one last summer recipe to share with you. Trust me, its good. Like knock your socks off, #thisisamazing, I’m not going to even think about fall before I eat this, good.
I thought I was done sharing summer recipes with you, but then, I was picking up a produce box from my CSA, and their heirloom tomatoes were jumping out at me. Not only are they gorgeous, but they are bursting with flavor this time of year. I just had to make something, and this recipe is so simple. It takes all of 5 minutes, perfect for that end-of-summer Labor Day BBQ I know you are going to. Annnnd (last thing, I swear) it makes for a beautiful presentation. End of summer on a plate. Perfection.
happy labor day!
Some cook’s notes:
- So no, this recipe is not 100% paleo because it does have the cheese, so if you can’t tolerate cheese just omit it. But also…. It’s a holiday? This recipe is totally worth the cheat.
- I use “bread” from Against All Grain, which I absolutely adore because it tastes and toasts just like real bread. Feel free to use the paleo bread you prefer.
butter-toasted heirloom tomato and mozzarella spread with herbed oil drizzle
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes
- 10 oz. whole milk mozzarella
- 8 slices of your favorite paleo bread (see note above)
- 2 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 tsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 dash each of salt and pepper
- In a large frying pan, melt butter, and place bread slices face down to toast. Let toast on high heat until crispy. (The time will depend on the type of bread you are working with.) Remove from pan and set aside.
- Slice tomatoes and cheese.
- Layer tomatoes, cheese, and crispy bread in a row, alternating each ingredient.
- Sprinkle fresh basil and shallot over the tomatoes, cheese, and bread.
- In a small bowl, place olive oil. Add in dill, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until well incorporated. Set aside until serving.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle herbed olive oil over tomatoes, cheese, and bread. Enjoy!