One of my favorite parts about living in the Midwest was having bonfires. Bonfires in summer and fall had innately different vibes, but summer bonfires were always special.
Especially when I was living in Iowa, where summers were more temperate, a bonfire was perfect when the temperatures would drop to the high 60s or low 70s. (Yes! In summer! …but just imagine the winters. Brutal.)
I haven’t been to a single bonfire in the southwest, which makes me sad, but it rarely gets cool enough (I am an hour away from the Mexico-U.S. border, after all- so hot!) but that doesn’t stop me from wanting to eat s’mores.
Oh, and has anyone ever had the s’more bites from Trader Joe’s?? They are so good. SO GOOD. They’re definitely up in my top 5 favorite TJ products, nestled right in there between the Pumpkin Spice Body Butter (This is real), the Bordeaux cheese (Also not a figment of my imagination), and the black fermented garlic cloves (I can’t even make this stuff up).
Of course, these TJ s’more bites aren’t paleo, not even a little. But guess what? I’ve recreated them for you so they are totally organic, grain-free, gluten-free, refined-sugar free, and dairy free. No bonfire required.
Some cook’s notes:
- To make the marshmallows, you can use one of my marshmallow recipes, or use a plain marshmallow recipe of your choosing. (I’ve listed some recipes below.) If you use my recipes, you’re looking at Peppermint Mocha S’more Bites or Pumpkin Spice S’more Bites. Swwwwwoon.
- Store these in a cool place to avoid melting, but not the fridge; the fridge has too much humidity and will make the graham crackers in your bites lose the crispness.
Paleo Cinnamon-Sugar S’more Bites
- 1 batch Grain-Free Cinnamon-Sugar Graham Crackers
- 16 paleo marshmallow squares, see note above (I like these recipes: Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows, Peppermint Mocha Marshmallow, Classic Paleo Marshmallows)
- 1-½ cups chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Melt coconut milk and chocolate in a double boiler. Add vanilla; stir to incorporate so chocolate is mixed well with coconut milk. Pour chocolate sauce into a deep bowl.
- Assemble s’more bites by placing a marshmallow on a graham cracker square. Try to match the size of the marshmallow to the cracker, but it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Using a fork, slowly dip the bites into the bowl of chocolate sauce. Hold in chocolate sauce for about 30 seconds. If top of s’more bite is not completely covered with chocolate, use a back of a spoon to gently spread more chocolate on top.
- Remove s’more bite from chocolate and place onto parchment paper. Repeat until all s’more bites have been assembled.
- Let set for approximately 40 minutes.